Kawaii and yummy! (The Art Of Bento Making)

Japanese people are really very artistic and we all can see the reflection of it even through their food. I was first fascinated with their realistic food models which they use in their restaurants. Lately, I have been very much charmed too about the art of making cute bento boxes.

Bento is simply "baon" in Japanese cuisine. A bento box usuallyconsist of rice, meat, fish, chicken with some vegetables in it. Lately, Japanese moms are fond of making Kyaraben or Charaben (Character Bento) wherein the food is designed to specifically copy the image of some chartoon characters. Another one is Okakiben or Picture Bento where a photo is being copied to a bento.

Its really fun looking at some photos of it and I was planning to get my hands into making these precious little boxes of food. My motherly wanting emerges again as I promised myself that I would be making my kids these kinds of baon when he/she is already schooling. :)

Most kyaraben or okakiben that I see consist of Japanese staples but I was thinking that perhaps we I can make something out of the usual Flipino Cuisine. Well, I'll probably try making one this weekend.

Anyway here are the photos! Enjoy!















Comments

Unknown said…
parang I can't eat that ... ang ganda e!
Mel said…
michy and kay - sobrang cute no? ako din when I first saw it I said I dont think I can eat it kasi its too cute!
Sumi Go said…
I so love bento boxes! They are so cute and seems fun to eat. I wish nga that when I become a mom, I'd let my child bring bento boxes to school as baon. Super ma-effort nga lang gawin. XD
Mel said…
Sumi, im attempting to make some nga last weekend eh. Wala lang, parang halloween yung theme kahit tapos na halloween. haha!
Mel said…
Chibi. Hmm thanks for the new word. :) Arigato! :)
Ray said…
Japanese by eating culture really is more visual in terms of their appeal to food. They really place a lot of emphasis on plating, presentation, etc... Maybe ebcasue also traditional japanese food doesn't have much smell (raw vegetables, bamboo shoots, tea, raw fish :P )

Filipinos on the other hand are more on the scent. That's why you see nostrils almost poke into buffet tables :P
Ces said…
so kawaii!!! it's hard to eat something this cute! haha!

Popular Posts