The Perks of Being a Wallflower






This book has been in my bag for like forever and I've been trying to finish it as soon as possible. Having this busy busy schedule that I am having right now, I only get to read portions of it, like a page or two whenever I'm on the road, waiting for a ride, or on my lunch break.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is written by an American novelist Stephen Chbosky whom which I thought was very much inspired by one of my favorite novelist Jack Kerouac, for his writing style presents so many ideals of the Beat Generation, well I was right for he mentioned Kerouac's book On the Road in this novel.

The main character Charlie is an introvert freshman (thus the description wallflower) that was taken under the wings of two seniors, Sam and Patrick, who opened up his eyes in seeing the real world. Along the way, he see's the life of an ordinary kid, being exposed to the joys and hardships of a teenager.

There was totally nothing in Charlie's personality that I can relate to, well aside from the peculiarities of his thoughts when things become awkward and weird. Maybe because I can never classify myself as a wallflower. He embodies the naivety we perhaps all experienced as a young adult in which we were still trying to balance being between a kid and an full grown. I love the fact that his character is pure and at the same time thirsts for something wild and adventurous. I love the fact that he keeps his childlike attitude but never emits childishness. I like how his letters in this novel make me feel. Or perhaps he reminds me of someone full grown but with a very childlike attitude. and yes, I definitely miss that man... :( The way he narrates how he feels about things that made him happy and the things that made him disappointed is something that I think all of us should have. He looks at things positively all the time and shakes off negativity by doing something productive like reading or studying (kinda nerdy but beneficial)

I think im still in the middle of finishing it but I'd definitely find time to continue this weekend. By the way, I was so happy to know that a movie adaptation is filming and this will be finished by 2012! Emma Watson will play Sam which I think is just so perfect! I'm ecstatic!!!!


Something to look forward to in 2012!!!

Comments

Ces said…
I want to read this, too! Laging out of stock sa bookstores. I have the ebook, though. Kaso iba pa din pag totoong libro.
Mel said…
You can borrow mine Ces if you want! Tapusin ko muna. Hehehe. Lets watch the movie din next year!

Popular Posts