A Family Favorite Combo at Ma Mon Luk (Quezon Avenue, Quezon City)


Growing up having a family who loves to eat is such a wonderful blessing. I remember my childhood days, filled with a lot of culinary and gustatory introductions to different kinds of dishes that my parents and grandparents love. It's so awesome to think that I have a tradition to follow and that is for me to pass on to my kids the family favorites.

One of the family favorites I'm talking about is a classic combo from a classic Chinese restaurant. The Mami-Siopao Combo of Ma Mon Luk. 

The Siopao - Mami Love Affair

The old Ma Mon Luk branch in Quezon Avenue corner Banawe is still a family favorite whenever we crave for the good old mami-siopao tandem.

Ma Mon Luk Q. Ave Branch

The place is still the good old place we used to go to when I was younger. The feel is still the same and I honestly don't want it changed or renovated.




I failed to ask if they deliver...
I was surprised to actually see the place still get packed during merienda time. 







There are actually a lot of other things on Ma Mon Luk's menu. However, I would recommend you guys to stick to their Mami and Siopao.




Here's what we ordered:

But before that, lets talk about mami and Ma Mon Luk very briefly.'

Mami - Introduced by the Chinese, Mami is actually a dish that was brought about the fusion of Filipino and Chinese cuisines. It is a noodle soup usually with chicken, pork or beef cutlets, served with noodles, boiled egg and chives.


Ma Mon Luk is an entrepreneur form Guangzhou China who went to the Philippines and introduce his famous noodle dish and his equally delectable siopao. First in Binondo and opened several branches more around the metro. A lot of establishments copied his famous mami and siopao recipe but none succeeded. 



So here it is! The famous Ma Mon Luk Mami!



The Original Mami - Large (Php 105)
I am not really a mami fan. As I have said previously, I find it rather bland and tasteless. However, my sister told me that the right way to eat the mami is to actually add asado sauce and hotsauce to it.

Hot sauce and Asado sauce in the Mami. Makes it more flavorful

Now, the Siopao!

Siopao - Asado, Chicken and Salted Egg - (Php 60)

I love their siopao. Seriously, I'm a siopao lover and a siopao enthusiast should never ever miss the chance to sample this one. By the way take note that this the one you're supposed to order, not the Asado Siopao.

Aside from the combo, I was also tempted to order Siomai which totally disappointed me.

Siomai - (Php 45)

Ugh, dry and tasteless. I bet not a lot of customers order this so they get old at the steamer. If you still want to order, better ask the waiter to see the siomai first.

I went to Ma Mon Luk that day with my mom, my sister and her youngest baby, Maby. We then chatted about the idea that the kids should know and grow up eating the same favorites so that they would continue the passing of this family favorite. 

I would never grow tired eating this sumptuous combination of comfort food. It's going to stay with me to pass to my children, and hopefully to my children's kids as well. 


Ma Mon Luk 
Quezon Avenue corner
Banawe Avenue
Quezon City.

Parking: Yes
WIFI: None
Smoking area: None

Comments

michymichymoo said…
We used to camp something in Banawe during our thesis days, we failed to try this place. Will do soon! :)


http://www.dekaphobe.com/
Mel said…
Guys, this is a must try classic Pinoy comfort food. Go try em soon!
Mary de Guzman said…
The place seems to have a nice look and feel. Also, I didn't know that the right way to eat mami is to put asado sauce in it! Will remember that.

Tastes-Intentions.com
Hell yeah Ma Mon Luk :D !!!! Oh man, back when I was a kid, I can finish 2 bowls and a siopao. Then again, I had a ridiculous metabolic rate. Wonder if alcohol had anything to do with slowing it down? :P

- Ray
for
Lynne-Enroute.com
Mel said…
Mary - I also just learned putting the asado sauce and the hot sauce to the mami from my sister. :) Made it yummier!

Ray - I dont think alcohol is the reason. Please never blame alcohol.Hahaha!

Cheers!
z764536 said…
Nice blog post about Ma Mon Luk. Been there lately with my partner who loves their mami then off to have a few rounds beer after. Lol :-)

Mel said…
z764536 - beer would always be the best ending, well starter, err, well lets just say beer goes well with everything. :) Cheers to siopao, mami and beers!
Anonymous said…
This blog makes me want to go there. Definitely looking for cheap good eats when we come back this may from hawaii.
David"Dylan"Malana Puzon.1V said…
I love Ma Mon Luk.Feels like youre being transported to 1988 0r 1989.They have the best tasting beef mami and when you add the asado sauce its really killer.Once youve eaten,super heavy siya sa chan and you wouldnt think of eating dinner anymore afterwards.i think I'm craving again

David Dylan Malana Puzon.1V
Carla said…
The best mami in town. Now I'm craving for their siopao, mami and siomai

Popular Posts