Viva La Espana!!! (Estrella Galicia and 1906 Reserva Espesyal Beers from Spain)


I think, that teenie weenie time im spending reading the beer books I bought recently (and I tell you, giving time to at least read a page or two is a total struggle since I dont even have time for eyebrow threading, haha) is somehow paying off. It's now easy to distinguish if the beer im drinking is a lager or an ale or a bock or a stout! Yehey! True test was last Thursday when me and my favorite people, The Pex Foodies/Bloggers had dinner at Poco Deli in Pasig.

I wasn't able to help myself as soon as I saw those different beer bottles on display! I was actually contemplating whether I should skip beer for that night since I know were gonna have bottles of wine. But heck no one is stopping me! Beer, wine and food that is.

For this Beer -ness session, let us look at these two beer brews from Spain.

1. Estrella Galicia
(Spain)
Style : American Lager
Alcohol content: 5.50% ABV
My rating: 3



Drank this beer straight from the bottle coz I was ecstatic to drink some beer. Haha! I knew right away that this is an American lager! Hah! Very proud of myself. Hehe.

Tried to sniff to distinguish the nose but I basically failed to smell anything! None really. Took a gulp and distinguished some faint tones of malt with a slightly hoppy finish. It was quite watery and bland for my taste. One good thing I love about it is that the carbonation is just right and its crisp. Maybe I'm just being very partial to Lagers. It could actually compare to Coors or Budweisser But overall, I enjoyed this beer together with the first dish served which is the Quattro Formaggio Pizza.


2. 1906 Reserva Espesyal
(Spain)
Style : Bock
Alcohol content : 6.50 % ABV
My Rating : 2



For this one, I actually failed to distinguish its type. All the while I thought that this was a Euro lager but to my surprise it wasnt. I was searching for its alcohol content over the internet and found out that this is a bock. Alright well I failed pinning down the beer type this time but I know I still have a lot to learn.

The amber colored beer looks very pretty! The head fades off very quickly leaving a little lacing on the glass. The nose has this metallic aroma. I usually smell this in Lagers. Taste at first is a little malty, actually sweet, some citrus notes with a slightly hoppy bitter finish. Its just weird because all the while really, I thought this was a lager. I even made a note in my head that this was comparable to Estrella Galicia. Was it just me or it doesnt really taste like a bock? I dont know really...


Got these beers from Poco Deli.

Poco Deli
21 East Capitol Drive, Kapitolyo, Pasig City, Metro Manila
(02) 477-4332


Comments

michymichymoo said…
Ate wabbit! It was so nice to see you again! :) See you soon! ;)

http://www.dekaphobe.com
Mel said…
I had a great time with you guys as well. Lagi naman eh. See you soon!
YedyLicious said…
Seems like the book about beer you are reading is an informative one :) I am not a big beer drinker but I enjoy it once in a while. I hope someday I could managed to distinguished these beers like you do :)
En Route said…
To beer, wine, and...Pex. :D I have my beer days too but it's just as plain as either I like it or I don't. But when I do, you can just keep 'em coming! Too bad the beer days don't occur a lot. Haha.

I also find it funny that reading a book is comparable to getting eyebrow threading. :P
Mel said…
Yedy - yes I do have a few books about beers and its really great that it gives simple definition of each beer types and how to distinguish them. Ill write something about these books soon. :)

Lynne- OMG did I just make eyebrow threading and book reading sound weird? hahaha! what I mean is, I rarely have time to read.Also, eyebrow threading should be done regularly and it doesnt really take a long time but still I cant manage to do that since I was so busy. Haha. Sabagay magulo lang talaga ko. Hehe.

Happy Sunday Ladies!!!
Thirdy Lopez said…
Pa-link ng blog, please!

Thanks!

thirdylopez.com

Popular Posts