Mekong Delta Tour (Part 1)




I have asked Chanh of Bich Duyen Hotel to book us a one day Mekong Delta tour. He sent me a list of choices and I have decided to take the Saigon - Cai Be - Vhin Long - Saigon tour.

Me and my friend got a wake up call from Chanh around 7 in the morning telling us that the bus will pick us up at 7:45. The tour we got was a whole day tour going to Vietnam's country side for the tourist to experience the Vietnamese way of life.

The tour didn't start right away. We still went around District 1 to pick up other tourist who will join us in the tour. We finally head off to the highway at around 9:00 and started the tour then.

That's Duc, our tour guide. I think he does have a very cute smile. :D


Duc told us alot of things about the places were going to visit. I just forgot most of the things he said since I was so engross watching the scenery outside the bus. Their highway looks alot like our NLEX, a little narrower though.

After 2 hours, we stopped for some refreshments at a local stop over. I have first witnessed the Vietnamese way of life which I thought was really laid back. I actually saw a lot of these places before we even stopped. Chairs and tables facing the road and hammocks under the shadowy trees with people just chilling around with some coffee while chatting with their friends.

Chairs and hammocks for relaxing

Me and my friend were starving that time since we haven't had the chance to actually eat breakfast before we left Saigon. The moment I saw a lady selling Ca Phe Sua Da, I literally ran and ordered for me and my friend. Then, that was the start of another addiction.


Our breakfast. Local crackers and Ca Phe Sua Da. :)

We went back on the road after a few minutes stop. I just slept on our way and after an hour or so, we then arrived at the Province of Cai Be. I very much appreciated the tour package that we have availed because as soon as we arrive there, we were already asked to ride our boats and in a few minutes, were already cruising Mekong Delta while other tourist still wait for their boats.


Tourists waiting for their boats



Boats parked at a dock in Mekong River


Another tour guide who lead us to the Coconut Candy Factory


We then cruised along the Mekong Delta and there we have witnessed how merchants live their lives on floating houses.



We cruised along the Mekong Delta River going to a Coconut Candy Factory. It took us about 30 minutes from the Cai Be dock to the Village of Than Tri were we witnessed how to make local delicacies such as sweetened popped rice, coconut candies and rice papers.


Sweetened Popped Rice

Rice Paper

Rice Wine

Coconut Candies

We had a great time watching how the locals make their delicacies. It was also great to realize how similar their products are with ours.

After that we head back to our boats and travel an hour to our lunch destination. Where we experienced boat rowing and cycling at a sleepy town.

Read Part 2 for more adventures.

Comments

stacy said…
Wow i just love to read your adventures!
Mel said…
Thanks very much Stacy for enjoying reading my blog. Hehe. I wish I could share more of my adventures soon! :)
Jeo said…
Natawa ako sa unang picture :)) Nice photos you have there by the way, hope to visit Ho Chi Minh also soon :)
Mel said…
Hope you really do visit HCMC soon! :)

Popular Posts