Vietnam Street Food : Banh Mi


This picture shows probably the best breakfast I've ever had so far in my life. Banh Mi Thit Nuong and Ca Phe Sua Da!

My Banh Mi liking started when I first ordered the sandwich a few years back in a Vietnamese restaurant here in Manila. But I fell in love with it as soon as I had my first bite when I was in Saigon.

Banh Mi could perhaps be one of the most popular street food in Vietnam, (well im not sure of the statistics but it could be the same as Pho and Ca Phe Sua Da, which I will also write about next)

A Banh Mi stall I saw at Vhin Long Province, Vietnam


Going around Vietnam, I saw a lot of Banh Mi stalls around. It is a very popular snack not just for the locals but also for the tourist. I built an addiction once I tasted its glorious combination of flavors. Realizing as well that it is a result of the French influence and the utilization of ingredients abundant to the locals, I think Banh Mi is not just a typical sandwich but actually a way of life.




My favorite Banh Mi Stall found at the corner of Pham Ngu Lao and D. Q. Dau Street :)



Alright well, what exactly is Banh Mi?

Bhan Mi is a term which means bread in Vietnamese. Now the type of filling would then give a different name for the sandwich. Typically a Bhan Mi sandwich consist of meat such as pork belly, either pan grilled or steamed, Vietnamese sausage, meatballs, cilantro, pickled veggies (carrots and radish), liver pate, mayonnaise, cheese, and eggs.

Now there's what they call Banh Mi Xiu Mai with crushed meatballs, there's also Banh Mi Dac Biet, a special combination sandwich filling, there's Banh Mi Ga Nuong, with grilled chicken and of course I think the most famous of all the Bhan Mi's , the Banh Mi Thit Nuong, with grilled pork belly.



The lady preparing my Banh Mi Thit Nuong! Look at all the different ingredients! This is a Vietnam deli in a stall. :)


Tadah! The glorious Vietnamese sandwich, Banh Mi Thit Nuong. With sliced roasted pork belly, lavishly spread of liver pate, mayonnaise, pickled veggies of carrots and radish, cilantro, sliced chilis in a baguette thats crunchy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. Dear oh dear I'm still drooling for this. :)


Banh Mi costs about VND 15,000 or around Php 30-35. I cant even believe that! :)

So when in Vietnam, never ever miss the chance to taste the authentic Banh Mi.

Comments

Con-Con San said…
find time to visit the hoa vien brauhaus in saigon. they brew their own czech-style beers there :)
Mel said…
I was actually planning to go to Hoa Vien Brauhaus or Nguyen Du Brauhof but Ive got limited time. :( Next best thing was to actually sample all kinds of local beers. Too bad. Thanks for dropping by my blog again!
Anonymous said…
Thank you, great post.

Actually the spelling is: BANH MI not BHAN MI :)

As you can see it in your pictures...
Mel said…
Thanks for the correction.

Popular Posts