Unfinished Business in Bangkok, Thailand (Part 3)



My dream vacation in Thailand ended up being a nightmare because of a medical emergency I had.  Good thing that the hospital I went to in Bangkok really took great care of me. It was such a hard blow considering this is just my first stop in this tri-country Indochina trip! But all is well and I was luckily out of danger which is what matters the most. The only downside here is that I was not able to carry on with the plan tours I initially have since the doctors told me to just take a rest before pushing forward to Cambodia and Vietnam. I thought, I still have to do something in the remaining days I have in Bangkok. But what to do when I was ordered to just stay in the hotel to rest? 

Khao San at Night

Luckily, my awesome hotel is right smack in the middle of the city action. Adjacent to my hotel is Khao San road where all the food, booze, and entertainment is. I decided to just take it easy, a leisurely walk would not hurt, so for the remaining days I have in Bangkok, I just took my time in going around Khao San, shopping, sight seeing, and of course enjoying awesome Thai food. 




I would start with my favorite food finds. It was such a torture that I was dealing with hyperacidity the whole time I was there so I was not able to eat as much as I want. It was such a downer as Thai food in my opinion is one of the best cuisine in the world. Since I was stuck around Khao San the whole time, I never had a chance to visit the famous Pad Thai place, or dine in Jay Fai, so I ended up dining in whats around which is honestly not bad at all. 

Here are some of my Thai food finds.

Street Food Stalls

Street food stalls are ubiquitous in Thailand. They sell different kinds of dishes from noodles to traditional Thai food like Som Tam, Pad Thai, Tom Yum, to fresh fruit shakes and desserts. I was at first a little hesitant but I know experiencing it like how locals do would make my trip worthwhile. So I muster up courage to eat in a local stall like that and ended up doing so for the rest of my stay in Bangkok. Most of the vendors understands English and most of the stalls have English menu, but if they dont, you can just point to what you want to order and you are good to go. 

A serving of delicious Thai Pineapple Fried Rice and a Mango Banana Smoothie
which I did not finish because I was still feeling ill that time. :( 

My favorite fruit smoothie stall. I order fresh fruit smoothies almost every day!

Food in Bangkok is pretty affordable. I remember spending around 150-200 PHP per meal (around 3-5 USD) that usually includes the main dish and a drink in a small local stall. A meal in a restaurant would probably cost you around 300-600 PHP (around 7 to 12 USD). 

Pad Krapow Gai (Thai Basil Chicken dish)

Pad Thai and Spring Rolls (Yes that's all for me)

I also love the fact that there are a lof of snacks and desserts around. I would have really indulged and overate if not for my tummy troubles that time. 

Sai Ua (Northern Thai Sausage) - made of meat, filled with chopped
lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime, coriander and red curry paste. 

Khanom Bueang - crispy pancakes with topings of  sweet egg and
fragrant sweet syrup that I totally loved!

Again these small snacks are super affordable and all over the place. No one will ever get hungry in Bangkok! 

Apart from the yummy snacks, I also enjoy unique knick knacks that you can see all around, specially in the Khao San which is a main tourist area. 

Bought some Muay Thai short to bring home!


7-11 Snacks

Fave drinks during my stay!

I could also say that I fell in love with Bangkok even if my visit did not allow me to truly discover what the city really is. But the experience I had for the last 5 days has nothing been but wonderful. Every single Thai person I met along the way never made me felt unwelcomed. They are all polite, tender and sweet to visitors like myself. Never did I feel unsafe and unwelcomed. I would still have loved to stay a bit longer so I can explore but my next destination is already calling me (well, I have pre-booked plane tickets to Siem Reap, so yeah, haha) 

Leaving Bangkok with mixed feelings, I prepare for the next leg of my trip which is the country of Cambodia! 

Read my Bangkok Thailand Adventures here: 

Comments

Popular Posts