A cup of coffee at Juan Karlos (Tacloban, Leyte)



After a hearty lunch at Sunzibar, my cousin brought me to this quiet little coffee shop in from of Sto. Nino church. I was particularly craving for a warm cup of coffee to end my food trip in Tacloban. 

I have heard a lot of good things about Juan Karlos Coffee and finally I had a chance to visit the place. I do love visiting  coffee shops which is obviously loved by locals. There is no Starbucks in Tacloban (not that I favor Starbucks among the coffee shops around) but I personally rather keep it like that. 

Its nice to actually hang out to where the locals meet. I can totally experience the Taclobanons way of life through this. 

Jose Karlos coffee, (by the way we visited the original branch) is located just right across Sto Nino church in P. Burgos and Zamora St. They also have a branch in Robinson's mall Tacloban which I also saw but I told my cousin I'd like to visit the original branch. 

Affordable coffee selection


I love the ambiance! Its an old house converted to a coffee shop, and lately I have really been dreaming to have a home resto in the near future, so this place is quite an inspiration for me. The coffee shop is spacious, with comfy sofas and homey decor which would really make you feel ultra relaxed. I was waiting for a plane to catch back to Manila that time, but if not, im sure I can totally spend the entire afternoon just hanging out at that place.

Good time for these this summer!


Their selection of pastries

Comfy homey interior made me want to stay in Tacloban a few more hours....

Now here's what we ordered. :) 

Cappuccino Karlo (Php50)

Their cappuccino is just ok. Nothing so special about it. Espresso used isn't that strong and the milk foam isn't that creamy. Though it wasn't that bad. Not actually bad for its price. 

Peanut Butter cookies and Sylvanas (forgot the prices)

My cousin loved the Sylvanas very much, she took another photo. :D


Chocolate Mud Pie (they call this something I forgot) cost about Php75 per slice


Their cakes and pastries are also just OK. Nothing to rave about. The Peanut Butter cookie is a little dry as well as with their Sylvanas. I was expecting a quite chewy with a creamy buttery filling sylvanas but I was quite disappointed with its crisp, dry and crunchy texture. Again its not bad but actually good for its price. The Mudpie lacked richness although its quite ok as well.

I saw in their menu that they also offer pasta and sandwiches, those I haven't really tried when I was there since I was still super full on our visit.

I cant really profess discontent with Jose Karlos. Sure, coffee and food is mediocre but what I love about this place is that it serves as a local meeting place and a haven for chill junkies. Ambiance is great so whats to hate there?

**Special thanks again to my cousin Jel for taking these gorgeous photos.

Jose Karlos Coffee
Juan Luna Street corner P. Zamora Street 
(in front of Santo Niño Church), 
Tacloban City Leyte
Philippines

Comments

Popular Posts